The West African Health Organisation (WAHO) is the health institution of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS), with a mandate to ensure the attainment of the highest possible standard and protection of the health of the people in the ECOWAS region.
Within the framework of the Regional “Reproductive Health and REV Prevention Programme in the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS)”, WAHO and the German Financial Cooperation (Kreditanstalt fur Wiederaufbau / KFW) have agreed to establish a Regional Financing Mechanism for Reproductive Health Commodities.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: General Administration Officer
Job Code: VN99
Location: West Africa
Institution: West African Health Organisation
Directorate: Administration and Finance
Division: Administration and Human Resources
Line Supervisor: Administrative, Assets and Risk Officer
Supervising: Administrative Assistants, Drivers
- Under the supervision of the Administrative Officer, the General Administrative Officer shall play an active role in the overall organization, management and delivery of office support services by ensuring smooth operation of ongoing administrative functions including the creation of a conduisive work environment, health and safety, equipment, assets, building and utility management, information storing and retrieval systems, etc.
Role and Responsibilities
- Ensure proper maintenance of office equipment, assets, vehicle and infrastructure;
- Monitor clients’ accounts;
- Ensure that vendors and contractors are paid in a timely manner;
- Supervise the housekeeping and maintenance of the building;
- Manage WAHO office supplies;
- Prepare regular reports in SAP using the Material Management Module (e.g. supplies and replenishment alerts);
- Manage vehicle movement, including scheduling, servicing, log books, fuel coupons etc.
- Coordinate the security issues;
- Ensure the cleanliness of the front office and that it is manned at all times;
- Lead, supervise and mentor subordinates.
- Perform other related duties as may be assigned by supervisor.
- Monitor energy and usage;
- Develop strategies minimisation of energy and water usage;
- Prepare and follow up on documents relating to shipments/freights, customs clearance, office material or staff transfers, deployment or repatriation;
- Provide information to staff regarding office administrative procedures, processes and practices;
Academic Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Political Science, Public Administration or a related field from a recognized university;
- 3 to 5 years of progressively responsible experience in protocol, public information, external relations or a related area with significant experience in organizing events/meetings in an international setting is required;
- Knowledge of conference services and documentation;
- Familiarity with administrative and financial policies and procedures related to conference services and procedures in a governmental or international organization.
- Knowledge of accepted norms, rules and customs including practices developed within ECOWAS System or similar international organization;
- Knowledge of administrative services in governmental or international organization.
ECOWAS Key Competencies
- Ability to persuade/influence others to consider a certain point of view, adopt a new idea or implement new methods and practices;
- Ability to lead a team of trainees/junior staff and instill a spirit of teamwork to engage employees and achieve a well-defined set of activities;
- Ability to utilize the Code of Ethics to manage self, others, information and resources;
- Ability to mentor others and create feedback loops with supervisors, colleagues and the subordinates to build strong working relationships and improve performance;
- Contribute to maintaining organizational unit’s performance goals and standards.
- Ability to respect chain of command in an appropriate manner;
- Ability to resolve challenges that occur with minimal direction and/or to recommend and explain solutions or alternatives for approval;
P3-03-01 Client Service Orientation:
- Interpersonal skills with ability to keep a client informed of progress or setbacks in projects of relevance to timeline, quality and quantity;
- Ability to proactively interact with clients and build strong trusting relationships based on mutual respect and regular discussions;
- Knowledge in database development and management. DHIS2 knowledge will be an advantage
- Advanced knowledge in health information analysis tools.
- Excellent management capacity, including networking and alliance building.
- Ability to work within a multinational environment and with a diverse range of people and organisations at the national, regional and global levels.
- Demonstrated ability to work in team setting, group facilitation and good interpersonal skills.
- Proven knowledge of new developments in own occupation/profession.
- Effective organizational skills with the ability to prioritize.
- Ability to establish and sustain professional credibility with clients/stakeholders in a manner that anticipates their need, mitigates issues and that carefully balances professional obligations with the need to be sensitive and responsive to their needs;
- Ability to counsel, advise, consult and guide others on matters pertaining to assigned client service responsibilities and established client service standards
- Proven experience in the management of Health Information system
P3-04-01 Multicultural Sensitivity and Advocacy:
- Demonstrate respect for cultural differences, fairness and ability to relate well with people from varied backgrounds, nationality, gender, ethnicity, race and religion;
- Ability to work in a diverse and inclusive interactive environment that benefits from diverse strengths;
- Ability and responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work;
- Ability to encourage, empower, and advocate for people in an un-biased and transparent manner.
- Understanding of diverse cultural views especially within West Africa, with sensitivity to group differences; ability to challenge bias and to practice tolerance and empathy;
- Ability to listen actively, consider people’s concerns and apply judgement, tact and diplomacy;
P3-05-01 Knowledge of ECOWAS:
- Knowledge of ECOWAS institutions, sectors, programmes and policies;
- Knowledge of the ECOWAS culture, structures and performance issues and priorities impacting assigned responsibilities;
- Knowledge of member states development trends, indicators, challenges and opportunities as it relates to project/programme assigned to own position.
- Knowledge of ECOWAS internal operational requirements of programs, projects, services and systems required to achieve work assignments and meet performance goals;
- Knowledge of rules and procedures of ECOWAS associated assigned responsibilities and ability to explain these clearly to others;
P3-06-01 Analytical and Critical Thinking:
- Ability to study data/information from a variety of sources, identify anomalies, trends and issues, present findings, and make recommendations;
- Ability to break down problems or processes into key parts to identify and solve gaps in service, quality assurance, compliance and performance targets;
- Knowledge of and ability to apply techniques to generate creative ideas and new approaches to meeting goals;
- Ability to use evidence and research to inform policies and programs and identify relevant and appropriate sources of information, including stakeholders, regional institutions and/or internal committees.
- Demonstrate operational computer proficiency using appropriate tools;
- Exhibit interpersonal skills, make presentations, express opinions and debate ideas with others in a constructive manner;
- Proficiency in information communication technologies(ICT);
- Fluency in oral and written expressions in one of the ECOWAS official languages (English, French & Portuguese). Knowledge of an additional one will be an added advantage.
- Ability to make sound use of graphics and tables to effectively present numerical data to write semi-complex technical reports/proposals and edit/check templates, letters, etc.
- Ability to convey information clearly and concisely in a succinct and organized manner through both writing and verbal means, ;
P3-08-01 Planning and Implementation:
- Ability to develop, implement an individual action plan for achieving specific work goals;
- Identify ,organize and monitor tasks throughout to facilitate execution;
- Ability to organize work, set priorities, and work within timelines, giving attention to details, stakeholders, indicators and risks;
- Ability to identify, collect and assess indicators to monitor performance and to take proactive remedial action as required.
- Ability to contribute and/or lead on projects as per accepted project management standards and techniques, to co-ordinate contributions by others to set and meet deadlines;
- Must be a citizen of an ECOWAS Member State.
- Must not be more than 50 years of age at the time of recruitment. This does not apply to internal candidates.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Applications which must include the following below to: [email protected] using the Job Title as the subject of the mail.
Each application must include:
- A Completed Job Application Form
- A Cover Letter of not more than one page on the motivation for the post
- A signed up-to-date Curriculum Vitae
- A certified copy of Birth Certificate.
- Shortlisting and interview processes shall be based on the ECOWAS Staff Regulations
Application Deadline 9th April, 2022.